The Book

It is said Southern Women are Steel Magnolias, and that is often the case. I decided to write a book about the strongest Magnolia I knew, a true Magnolia grandiflora - my mother. Like anyone, there were many sides to her. She was extremely complicated, to say the least. Her lifetime was full of love and loss, joy and hardship, downfalls and redemption, relapse and recovery. But through it all, there were some things she never lost sight of: always mind your manners, pay your Junior League dues, and don't forget to polish the silver. And when it was all over, I learned she was even more complicated than I thought. I loved her so, but like so many of us, never told her enough.

Saturday, February 1, 2014

A "Bit" of Chapter 60 "Mama's Family Beach Trip"

Chapter 60 "Mama's Family Beach Trip"

One May, several years ago, Mama showed up in my office all excited. “Well, I found us a place at the beach.”
       Clueless as to what she was talking about, I asked, “Us?”
       “Yes, I rented us a place at the beach for a week.” She could tell by the puzzled look on my face that I didn’t get it. So she continued, “For our family beach trip.”
       “What family beach trip?”
       “I thought it would be nice for all of us to get together for a week this summer at the beach. So I rented a house big enough for all of us to stay together.”
       “Um and when is this ‘family beach trip’?”
       “The second week in June, the weather is so nice then.”
       “Mama, I can’t just take off from work then with no notice. Does my brother know about this?”
       “No, but his children love the beach.”
       “We all love the beach. That’s not the question.” It was at that point that I realized it didn’t matter if it suited or not, we were going on a family vacation the second week in June, come Hell or high water. “Well, I suggest you go home and call him right now so he can make plans.”
        “I’ll just do that. He’ll be so excited.”
         “And so surprised,” I added. That night I got the expected phone call from my brother. 
         “Did you know anything about this?”
         “No, and I’m sure it suits your schedule about as much as it does mine.”
         “You couldn’t stop her or change her mind?”
         “It was a done deal before I knew about it.”
         “Did she tell you she has invited her college roommate to join us?”

         “No, I wasn’t privy to that bit of knowledge.”

No comments:

Post a Comment