The Book

It is said Southern Women are Steel Magnolias, and that is often the case. I decided to write a book about the strongest Magnolia I knew, a true Magnolia grandiflora - my mother. Like anyone, there were many sides to her. She was extremely complicated, to say the least. Her lifetime was full of love and loss, joy and hardship, downfalls and redemption, relapse and recovery. But through it all, there were some things she never lost sight of: always mind your manners, pay your Junior League dues, and don't forget to polish the silver. And when it was all over, I learned she was even more complicated than I thought. I loved her so, but like so many of us, never told her enough.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A "Tid Bit" of Chapter 68

The first part of Chapter 68 "Just Shoot Me Now"

We were not sure we would make it through the week. The jury was out. My brother, his family, and I were all trying our best to keep my mother happy and so far we were not doing very well. It seemed everything needed to revolve around Mama. I could not speak for anyone else, but I was getting dizzy with the revolving activity.


If Mama was not talking nonstop about subjects she knew nothing about, she was muttering under her breath. My fifteen-year-old niece bravely agreed to accompany her to the post office, knowing full well that was guaranteeing her a forty-five minute jaunt around the island visiting several rubber snake emporiums, all the while being a captive audience to Mama’s non-stop monologues. My niece returned with a sarcastic smile and announced, “OK, someone else has to go next time; I just took one for the team.” (At least she had maintained a sense of humor.)

The cooler under the back porch that housed the wine and vodka fueled our sanity. My poor nephew was chastised every time he went in or out of a door – “too much coming and going.” The ceiling fans needed to be kept off. (Our theory there was too much movement.)

Small paper plates needed to be used during the day. The large ones needed to be saved for supper. The fact we had 200 large plates was irrelevant, much less the possible use of “real” plates given we had a dishwasher. (God forbid.) The lasagna had to be reheated for lunch. My theory here was cold lasagna falls in the same category as bad beach water – it was sure to bring on serious illness or certain death.

(to be continued when the book is published.)

No comments:

Post a Comment