The Book

It is said Southern Women are Steel Magnolias, and that is often the case. I decided to write a book about the strongest Magnolia I knew, a true Magnolia grandiflora - my mother. Like anyone, there were many sides to her. She was extremely complicated, to say the least. Her lifetime was full of love and loss, joy and hardship, downfalls and redemption, relapse and recovery. But through it all, there were some things she never lost sight of: always mind your manners, pay your Junior League dues, and don't forget to polish the silver. And when it was all over, I learned she was even more complicated than I thought. I loved her so, but like so many of us, never told her enough.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

A Conversation from Chapter 37

A few paragraphs from Chapter 37 "A New Doctor"

        I remember that argument well.  She had been seeing Dr. Smith for years and saw no reason to see anyone else. I failed to agree.
          "Mama, you really need to start seeing Dr. Brunson." 
          "But, I'm fine. Dr. Smith takes good care of me. He has for years." 
          "I know, for something like 50 years. He must be in his 80's." "He is 81." 
          "How are you seeing him any way, he closed his office years ago?" 
          "Oh, I see him in Sunday School. If I ever need him, he is always there." 
          "What happens if you need him any other day of the week?" 

(Of course the rest of the Chapter can be found in the book, due to be published soon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment