The Book

It is said Southern Women are Steel Magnolias, and that is often the case. I decided to write a book about the strongest Magnolia I knew, a true Magnolia grandiflora - my mother. Like anyone, there were many sides to her. She was extremely complicated, to say the least. Her lifetime was full of love and loss, joy and hardship, downfalls and redemption, relapse and recovery. But through it all, there were some things she never lost sight of: always mind your manners, pay your Junior League dues, and don't forget to polish the silver. And when it was all over, I learned she was even more complicated than I thought. I loved her so, but like so many of us, never told her enough.

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The Successful Award Winning Book

Some one commented, after reading the preview of the book, that my Mama would be proud of me for writing this book. That got me to thinking. First, there was a reason I waited until she died to write the book - I do not believe in reincarnation. 

And, if she had read the book, obviously the end of the story would be unfinished. That said, here is how it would play out: Mama would start reading it, maybe get as far as Chapter 32, get mad (maybe get her feelings hurt)and call me to tell me how ungrateful I was. Then, if I could ever persuade her to finish the book, I think she would be OK.

Of course by then, friends of hers would be commenting on the book. She would take full credit, telling them when I first approached her with the idea, she was hesitant, but realized perhaps the story would help some one (showing that you could recover). Mama would then tell everyone, in confidence of course, that I had second thoughts, but she was the one who encouraged and supported me through the whole process. 

Then she would go on to tell them how many awards the book had won . . . And, before I knew, I would have the makings of a sequel, "The Incredibly Successful Award Winning Book I once Wrote that No One Ever Heard Of".

No comments:

Post a Comment